The climate in the region is transitional continental with a Mediterranean influence and a summer minimum of precipitation. The average annual rainfall is about 670 mm. The geographic location of the municipality of Sandanski – halfway between the Kresna and Rupel gorges – is a prerequisite for its extremely favorable climatic features.
The town of Sandanski is known as the warmest settlement in the Republic of Bulgaria, with an average annual temperature of 13.9ºС, with the lowest average relative air humidity in the country – 66%, with the longest duration of sunshine – 2506 hours, with the most few foggy days during the year – on average 5. The air in Sandanski has the lowest content of allergens in all of Bulgaria. Its fame as the best natural spa in Europe for chronic diseases of the lungs and upper respiratory tract – bronchial asthma, chronic and asthmatic bronchitis, conditions after bronchopneumonia, conditions of recovery after lung operations, emphysema of the lungs, chronic rhinitis is not accidental. , pharyngitis, sinusitis, hay fever, respiratory neuroses, etc.
Sandanski has been known for its healing mineral water for thousands of years. The resort has 5 mineral springs with a temperature between 33° and 83°C, which is used for prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal, central and peripheral nervous system diseases.
It can rightly be said that today the city of Sandanski has become a kind of “health factory”. Climatotherapy and balneotherapy here have long proven their advantages and have turned the city into a national and international balneological resort.
The climate in the town of Melnik is transitionally Mediterranean with a summer minimum and a winter maximum of precipitation. The average annual rainfall is about 670 mm. It is beneficial for the treatment of lung, kidney and rheumatic diseases. The level of allergens in the air is among the lowest in Bulgaria.
The Archaeological Museum in Sandanski was founded in 1936 and is the oldest museum in Southwest Bulgaria. It contains 11,367 museum exhibits and is one of the 5 archaeological museums in Bulgaria, specializing in the field of ancient archaeology.
The museum is on two floors, and on the first is a church from the 5th century – the Basilica of Bishop John, in which you can see wonderful mosaic carpets. In the open part of the museum there is the early Christian complex, part of which is a basilica from the 4th century, an ancient main street and an atrium, and in specialized rooms fun educational programs are held.
The museum has a collection of Roman funerary marble sculpture, which is the largest in Bulgaria, is rarely found in Europe and is characteristic only for this region, as well as exhibits from prehistory to the Middle Ages. Some of the artifacts are a bronze lithium cross, ancient coins and a poster – an invitation to gladiator fights.
You can also see a hologram of Spartacus and augmented reality representing the churches and mosaics in the ancient city below present-day Sandanski.
The basilica next to the episcopal residence is also known as Basilica number 1. It is located in the center of the city of Sandanski, on the outskirts of Pirin Mountain. An ancient Greek inscription is carved on a granite column, which determines the age of the construction from the III-IV century. For its time, the church was huge. Later in the 6th century it was destroyed by barbarian invasions. The episcopal residence rises north of the basilica.
The episcopal complex consists of a basilica dating from the early Christian period, dotted with floor mosaics and rich decoration. It is located in Pirin – in the town of Sandanski and is one of the largest and most interesting archaeological sites in the southern part of Bulgaria. It is believed to date back to antiquity – 5-6 centuries. There are colonnades, a marble altarpiece with scenes from the Gospels, as well as a preserved vestibule and pulpit.
Sandanski Monastery of St. St. Cosmas and Damian is a Renaissance monastery and is located in Sandanski. The monastery complex consists of a single-nave, single-apsed church, chapels of St. Dimitar and St. Petka and a residential building. Already in the 4th-5th century, there was a church on the site of today’s Sandanski monastery. It is believed that the two brothers Kozma and Damian lived here, who treated the sick at the Miroto spring, which still exists today. They gave the city its name – Sveti Vrach. Only in 1958 . the city was renamed in honor of the Macedonian voivode Jane Sandanski.
Saint Vrach City Park is located in Sandanski. It is one of the largest in the country, extends over 344 acres of land on both sides of the Sandanska Bistrica river, and is the only one with sandy alleys. In 1991, it was declared a monument of garden and park art. Over 160 plant species can be seen in it, among them there are century-old plane trees, an artificial lake with swans and ducks, fountains, fountains, children’s corners, two rope bridges over the river, a model of the Pirin Mountains, a summer theater, a stadium, a swimming complex and more.
The castle of Despot Alexius Slav is also known as Slav’s Fortress. It is located near Melnik, in Pirin mountain. It served as the capital of the despot Slav in the years 1211-1230. He moved his capital from Cepina to Melnik in 1211. A church bell with a donation inscription, which is associated with his newborn child, also dates from that time. This is the first monument of its kind in Europe.
Turski Konak is located in the center of Melnik, opposite the city library. In this building, a Turkish inn was located – a barracks that performed administrative functions. The building has been preserved in its exact condition to this day.
The Kordopul House, or also known as the Cintsar House, is located in Melnik and is the largest Renaissance house on the Balkan Peninsula, preserved to this day. It was built for the purpose of wine production, storage and trade. It is owned by a wealthy Greek merchant family, Kordopoulos. In it there is an exposition of a mill cellar, carved in the form of a tunnel in the rock, with huge barrels for storing mill wine displayed in it, the decorations of murals, carvings and stained glass are very beautiful.
The Church of Saint Nicholas dates from the end of the 12th century and is located near Melnik. To date, only the eastern wall and some of the interior elements have been preserved. Traces of frescoes of high artistic value can still be seen on the ruins of the church. The interior of the church has frescoes and rarely depicted scenes, as well as an inscription from the 13th century. The bell of the church is among the oldest in Europe.
The Historical Museum in Melnik houses a rich collection of artefacts related to the thousand-year history of the city.
Melnik was founded by Alexander the Great and under the rule of the despot Slav from the Asenevtsi royal family, it became one of the 7 medieval capitals on the territory of modern Bulgaria, at the beginning of the 13th century.
In the museum you can see the sarcophagus of despot Alexius Slav, preserving his mortal remains, as well as valuable archaeological artifacts, weapons from the national liberation struggles, a reconstruction of a Renaissance town house and objects from the urban life and culture of the Greek rich families in the city of Melnik during the Renaissance .
Through augmented reality, you can hear the oldest preserved bells in Europe.
The museum is part of the “100 National Sites” movement.
The Melnik pyramids are located in the area next to the Pirin mountain, overhanging the pretty town of Melnik. They cover an area of about 50 square km and are one of the most interesting rock formations in Bulgaria. They are conditionally divided into three parts – Rozhensky, Melnishki and Kurlanovsky pyramids.
They are an erosion formation that continues to change its shape to this day.
Sculptural site The Cross is located near Petrich. It represents stairs in the form of a cross that people can climb. It symbolizes the way of Christ to Calvary. It was commissioned by Vanga and is buried in the mountain opposite the Church of Saint Petka, in Rupite.
The Rozhen Monastery of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is located in the Pirin Mountains, 6 km from the town of Melnik. It is one of the few medieval monasteries preserved to this day – its name was first mentioned in the 13th century. The Rozhen Monastery is a permanently active and well-maintained monastery. The iconostasis in the church of the monastery, together with the wall paintings, were made way back in 1732. The miraculous icon of the Holy Mother of God is located in the Rozhen Monastery, before which worshipers from the country and abroad present their gifts every year.
The tree is located in the courtyard of the monastery of St. Georgi Pobedonosets in the village of Zlatolist, near Sandanski, on the outskirts of Pirin mountain. It is of the Eastern sycamore species. It is about 1300 years old. Its height is about 28-30 m. The girth of the log is 6 meters. Local people believe that the place where the tree grows is one of the peaks of the energy triangle – the village of Zlatolist, the chapel of St. Teodor Tiron in Rupite and the village of Katuntsi.
The Lyubovishte tunnel is located near Rozhen, on the outskirts of Pirin mountain. It was dug by the local population with improvised tools. Its length is 40 meters. It connects the village of the same name with the surrounding villages, as before it was reached by a much more difficult and long route.
The locality Rupite is a located in southwestern Bulgaria, Petrich municipality. In the locality is the house of the most prominent Bulgarian clairvoyant – Vanga. In 1994, she herself financed a project to build a temple called St. Five. Today, the sights that can be seen in the Rupite area are the house-museum of Vanga, the temple of St. Petka, rare tree and animal species, mineral springs and pools. Legend has it that the land in the area is imbued with a special energy.
The Popinolash waterfall is located on the Bashliytsa river, a hundred meters above its confluence with the Sarchalytsa river in Pirin. It is located about 5-6 minutes from the Yane Sandanski hut, close to the resort village of Turichka Cherkva.
The waterfall is full of water all year round. Here the crystal clear water falls beautifully from about 12-13 m height from two water falls with small water cauldrons formed.
In the locality there are conditions for fishing and forest hiking, mountain biking, as well as for jumping from the top of the waterfall.
Pirin National Park is located in the Pirin Mountains, located in the southwestern part of Bulgaria. The territory of the national park covers seven municipalities in Blagoevgrad district – Bansko, Gotse Delchev, Razlog, Sandanski, Strumyani, Kresna and Simitli.
“Pirin” National Park was created in 1962 and was originally called “Vihren” National Park. At that time, its area was 6212 ha and covered the highest parts of the Demyanish and Vihren parts. Over the years, the territory of the park has increased several times and today Pirin National Park covers over 40,000 hectares. Since 1983, the national park has been under the protection of UNESCO.